| 4 comments ]


I was on the bus tonight traveling home and enjoying my newly updated ipod playlist, when halfway through my journey a guy gets on the bus blaring music on his cell phone. (I can feel everyone reading this post cringe right now... but don't be too hasty. This occasion was different.)
...

The guy was sitting on the bus blasting his music, and out of curiosity I turned off my ipod to hear what he was listening to. Low and behold, to my disbelief, he was publicly jamming to Monica - Don't take it personal (Just one of dem days).

I couldn't believe it. I was honestly shocked. I hadn't heard that song in YEARS. Since 1995 to be exact. And with that song, the memories came flooding back in waves. That fight with Val that nearly ended our friendship. That hot councilor, Tyson, and his new tattoo. Cutting Brian Wong's hair in the girls bathroom. TLC. SWV. Boys II Men and All-4-1. The butterfly dance. Fries and Gravy for lunch from the Cock and Bull at York University. Stealing Ice from Wendy's and not realizing that it was free. Pogs. CLACKERS! I even remember listening to this song at camp while we were putting on a fake fashion show, and the oldest and most popular girl at the camp (I think her name was Laura) was walking down the aisle with Jason (the oldest and most popular boy at the camp naturally) in an oversized wedding dress she borrowed from her mom.

Anyway, it's safe to say that aside from the nostalgia, I broke out into a huge goofy smile and started nodding along to the track appreciatively, despite the fact that everyone on the bus was clearly annoyed.

So today, because of the man with the trapper hat, gray sweat pants, fingerless gloves and Sony Ericsson cell phone, I will never again roll my eyes at another person enjoying their cell phone music on public transportation, because you never know whose day they just might be making a little bit brighter.

Thank-you for the music trapper hat man.

Ever Grateful,
Maria

READ FULL POST HERE

Share and Enjoy!
Digg Stumble This Del.icio.us Live Twitthis Google Yahoo Reddit Technorati Feedmelinks .

4 comments

Unknown said... @ February 25, 2009 11:11 PM

Along with the Fugees, Blackstreet, KRS One and A Tribe Called Quest, this song is one of the anthems of my childhood. What an amazing song.

This is the best kind of throwback.

Merci

SLICE magazine said... @ February 26, 2009 2:19 PM

De rien my music loving friend.

We'll have to do some "yank backs" of A tribe Called Quest and Blackstreet. Well all of the above really.

cras4 said... @ February 27, 2009 1:25 PM

POGS!!!!

SLICE magazine said... @ February 27, 2009 4:04 PM

lol... who remembers those slapping bracelet things? Can't remember the name, but you could straighten them out then slap then onto your wrist.

Post a Comment

scribble back